Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login
About Deviant Artist Michael CrichlowMale/Barbados Groups :icondrawn-from-the-soul: Drawn-from-the-Soul
Recent Activity
Deviant for 8 Years
Needs Core Membership
Statistics 1,215 Deviations 26,922 Comments 415,054 Pageviews

Newest Deviations


In November 2014, I started drawing levels for the next game that I wanted to make. After playing Fenix Rage (which I love) I wanted to make a new game that took elements from that game and went somewhere else with it. I wanted to make it my own and go in my own direction.

I didn't know Game Maker Studio back then. I didn't know a lot of things. All I knew is that I wanted to make a new game after B.L.U.E and I was excited to start.

A year later, and it's time to take a step back and look at where I am.

1.) I didn't realize it would take this long. I didn't give myself a deadline, I just wanted to become a better coder and work on my game, but this... this is really taking a long time. I feel my motivation leaving, as I get the itch to do something new.

2.) I absolutely love working on my game and it sucks *so much* that many more things in life don't feel like this. I have late hours. I work 4:00 pm to 1:00 am. Then, I would come home and code until 4 or 5 in the morning. Then go to sleep and do it all over again. That and trying to do well in school has been quite the challenge.

I love how I can just get lost coding - even when something is difficult - for hours on end. On the other hand, I often have to *force* myself to read for school or do homework or whatever. It's quite frustrating and I wish I had a natural desire to do well in school more than what I have right now. The information is challenging, but I struggle with myself the most - telling myself to sit down, be quiet and read a school book for a few hours sometimes like like pulling teeth. *sigh*

3.) I'm happy with the progress that has been made. I'm much more familiar with Game Maker Studio now. I can have an idea, go into Photoshop and make a sprite, import into Game Maker and in no time have an element in my game that was just an idea. That's awesome (and I've gotten quite comfortable doing that)! However, I still have so much more to go and I'm not sure what to do. Here's where I am at the moment:


:star: COMPLETE  :star:
- 3 of 7 worlds
- 1 of 7 boss fights
- Level Select menu
- Options Menu
- Start Menu
- Both Keyboard and gamepad support

:star: STILL WORKING ON  :star:
- Worlds 4, 5, 6 and 7 (art, level design, etc.)
- 6 boss fights
- Rebindable keys for keyboard and gamepad
  (I have no music or sound at all, so...)
- Music for all the levels as well as Options Menu and Title Screen
- Sound effects throughout
- Final art for main character (currently using a  stand-in sprite)
- Better transitions and presentation overall

- Steam integration so I can publish on that platform


That's.... a lot of stuff. >_<

So, I'm trying to decide what to do. It would be a shame to work on this for a year and then just abandon it. Then again, I haven't been able to spend any time with it in like 3 months. Life is just full and annoying right now. There are things that I want to change now, though.

For starters, the game is 30 FPS and I wish it were 60. But, that would require a rewrite of the entire physics system to work with the new framerate. Also, other games like INK and Downwell have come out that have made me feel very small indeed, like I have a lot to learn before I can get a game on Steam. Downwell, especially - that game is freakin' amazing. And to think that it was made it Game Maker Studio just like I'm making my game, but it feels as good as it does, is a slap in the face that my game should be way better.

I want to THANK ALL OF YOU for being supportive and helpful during all of this. I'm not active on a lot of Social Media sites, but I use Deviant Art every day (though I post quite rarely lately). I would not have made it this far without out and I just want to say thanks. 

I'm not abandoning my game. Just sharing some thoughts about where I am right now. :)

Much love, y'all and I hope that you're going well. Much love and I'll talk to you soon. :heart:

Mike C

AdCast - Ads from the Community




Add a Comment:
Destroyer77 Featured By Owner 1 hour ago
RBL-M1A2Tanker Featured By Owner 6 days ago
In a short time hence, may you have a most happy birthday, for that is the day that you descended upon the Earth in a shower of lightening! :D (Big Grin)  Also, have delicious Have your cake and eat it too that day!
MichaelCrichlow Featured By Owner 5 days ago
Thanks so much! Much appreciated! :D :dance:
Atrixfromice Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2015  Hobbyist General Artist
ChristmasCard by KmyGraphic Merry Christmas by KmyGraphic HappyNewYear by KmyGraphic
Keep on the amazing work mate! :D
MichaelCrichlow Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2016
Thanks so much! Happy New Year to you as well!! :D
Atrixfromice Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2016  Hobbyist General Artist
My pleasure mate! ^^
Dualmask Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2015  Professional Digital Artist
Thanks for watching! :)
MichaelCrichlow Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2015
No prob, mate. Oversight on my part. :)
AllPat Featured By Owner Nov 1, 2015  Professional Traditional Artist
MichaelCrichlow Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2015
No prob! :D
Add a Comment: